I've only been saving the selvages cut from my quilting cottons for about a year or so. I thought it would take much longer than that to amass enough to make anything significant however, I was mistaken. My selvage pile grew very quickly and much to my surprise, I was able to make these two 24" square pillows for my sewing room without putting much of a dent in it.
This was the perfect project on which to use my black and white scissor and pin fabrics. I've been saving them for just the right occasion.
My hidden zipper skills are slowly improving. This time, I only broke one needle and had one do-over. Maybe next time I'll have it down pat. I have realized is that it is much easier to install a hidden zipper if the zipper is over-sized, extending beyond the edges of my work. That way, the zipper can be sewn in place without having to jockey around the pull. Once sewn, the pull is slid into place, the ends are bar tacked and the excess is trimmed. My local store limited me to a 22" white zipper so I didn't have the luxury of using my preferred installation method.
Sewing the selvages into place was quick and easy. I first sewed them onto muslin foundation strips, overlapping the upper edge, leaving the lower edge of the stitching exposed. I then sewed the muslin/selvage units together, then added batting, backing and finally, some overall, freehand grid quilting. Now, when I need a pillow or two in the sewing room, I'm good to go.